Don Rohrbacker grew up in Lake Oswego but finished his education in Southern California.
He received a MFA from USC in set design. After college he worked as a Scenic Artist [IATSE 816] and set designer.
Since painting and designing is a freelance job, Don sought steadier employment though work for suppliers, including:
- Olesen Lighting, then a major retailer for both expendables and custom installations, with clients throughout the country.
- LTM Corporation of America, where Don was first the Product Manager for the Pepper line of small Fresnels. He later became the Western States Sale Representative of their entire line of lighting–at that time LTM was a leader in HMI lighting for motion picture production. In this capacity, Don traveled the western states forming lasting relations with most of the leading rental houses and crew members. During that time Don also developed close relationships with other major vendors such as: Matthews Studio Equipment, Arri, Lee Filters, Kino Flo and American Grip Equipment.
After Don’s daughter was born, he moved back to Portland and has served the production community in the Pacific Northwest ever since.
- During his time managing Portland Cine, it became the “go to” house for movie of the week productions.
- After the Cine Companies was acquired by Pacific Grip & Lighting, Don served as Rental Manager there for the next ten years. During this time PG&L grew to be the region’s largest rental house for film grip and lighting.
- Don opened a branch office for DTC Grip & Electric which is the leading grip and lighting rental house in the Bay area. While DTC operated in Oregon, Don supplied such features as Twilight, Untraceable and many small films in the Seattle area. During that time Don was able to take advantage of his sales background, developing close relations with the area’s major theatrical companies, as well as emerging firms such as Laika.
- Don then became the General Manager for Gearhead Production rentals, continuing his long relationships with local clients and supplying gear to such projects as Portlandia and
Don is very excited to continue to serve the NW production community in a new capacity as co-owner of PDXpendables which will continue the tradition of superior product knowledge and great service. Don is proud to be providing stage and studio supplies to a region and industry he loves. About David Bulford